lorem ipsum dolor sit
lorem ipsum dolor sit
lorem ipsum dolor sit
lorem ipsum dolor sit

BLUEGRASS HERITAGE MUSEUM

Winchester, Kentucky

The museum started its life as a brick residence and office of a local physician in 1887. The building was purchased in the 1920’s by another physician, Dr. Guerrant, who ran a mountain mission clinic from the building. During Dr. Guerrant’s ownership, the roof was raised to provide a full third floor to the building which housed an operating theater and hospital rooms, and an elevator was added to permit patients to be brought into the building from an on-grade side entrance, directly into the elevator and taken to either of the two upper floors. Dr. Guerrant also added a masonry solarium over the front porch of the building, primarily for tuberculosis patients. The building remained in the Guerrant family and served as a clinic for Dr. Guerrant’s son, also a physician. Following the closure of the clinic in the 1970’s, it became an office building for another group of physicians in the community, until it was finally closed in the late 1990’s.

The building was donated to the City of Winchester in 2000 and converted into a regional museum housing Central Kentucky artifacts. A portion of the museum was dedicated to preserving the character of its original use as a clinic, with a portion of the third floor containing the operating theater and some of the equipment left there, as well as a typical patient room.

Original stonework and stained glass windows were retained and protected, existing windows have been repaired and coupled with interior invisible storm sash to maintain the appearance of the building exterior.

Some elements from the original wood main stairway have been preserved and have been duplicated by local artisans to return the stairway to its original glory. Interior finishes are being retained as closely as possible, including patching original plaster work and repairing original wood trim work. Original doors and hardware have been salvaged and the doors were re-installed and re-finished.


PROJECT LEAD

Rob Deal, AIA, LEED AP
DIRECT: 859-899-9997 | MAIN: 859-252-6781

CONTACT ROB


PROJECT DATA      

PROJECT TYPE

Renovation

PROJECT SIZE

6,451 s.f.

AWARDS

2016 National Architecture
Restoration Award

 

PROJECT DATA      

PROJECT TYPE

Renovation

PROJECT SIZE

6,451 s.f.

AWARDS

2016 National Architecture
Restoration Award

PROJECT TEAM

Rob Deal, AIA, LEED AP
Executive Vice President