FERN CREEK CHRISTIAN CHURCH
In the spring of 2000, JRA Architects began the master planning process
for the relocation of Fern Creek Christian Church to their new 15.83 campus
on Bardstown Road near the Gene Synder Interchange. This farmland was
graced with many beautiful trees, a winding creek, and a natural spring. In
working with the building committee, it was decided to locate the church at
a prominent point of the site, overlooking the intersection of Bardstown and
Seatonville Roads. To accent their evangelism, their primary religious symbol, the
cross, was placed towards this highly visible road crossing. The exact location of
the building was also dictated by preserving the maximum number of mature
hardwood trees on the property.
The church serves as the hub of the complex with the education and fellowship
wings growing out from this center point in north and east directions. Parking is
hidden behind this L-shaped building, preserving the natural green landscape
in front of the complex. Small earth berms and evergreen trees were installed
at the perimeter boundaries to provide screening for the neighboring homes.
Chestnut wood was recycled from an old structure on the site to provide flooring
for one of the conference rooms.
The phase one building program includes a worship space for 700 (expandable
to 1000), offices, multipurpose classrooms, preschool rooms, gathering space,
and a fellowship hall. The exterior design is composed of a series of volumes, with
major forms being defined by the worship space, fellowship hall, and classrooms.
The church has soaring brick walls and standing seam metal roof that frame
the 50 foot tall cross. Flush metal walls panels offer an inviting contemporary
composition against backdrop of the red brick panels.